*

Monday, August 16, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Very early this morning, the boys and I began our trip to see my brother, sister-in-law, and my 2 nephews in Embrun (Ottawa area).  I had packed everything in the car last night so that all I had to do when I woke up was put the refridgerated things we were taking in their cooler, wake the boys for bathroom visits, get them dressed and we'd be out the door.

I had even gone so far as to pick up another set of headphones and an adapter to make the headphone jack on the car dvd player take 2 sets of headphones.  That way I would be able to listen to my music on our 6.5 hr car ride instead of their movies. 

However, when I went to put the adapter into the player late last night and get it set up in the car, it managed to push the connector piece inside the machine making the headphones unusable, and me some what annoyed.  Oh well, shit happens, move on, get to bed cause 4:45am will come way too soon.

By the time I had finished messing around making sure I had everything and that I had done everything I needed to, I crawled into bed around 12:30am.  My alarm rang at 4:45 and I was out of bed at 4:50am. I got myself ready, got the stuff from the fridge, grab afew last minute items and got them all in the car.  I woke the boys, changed Isaac, everyone gave Daddy kisses goodbye and we piled into the car.

Boys are buckled in and I turn on the DVD player to find out that not only did it mess up the headphone usage, it has messed up the sound totally.   There was NO sound!!  So now I have a 6.5hr drive in the car with an almost 7 year old, a 4 year old, and a 1 year old and no movies to occupy them.  Now, before you think that I didn't plan very well if I was going to let my kids watch movies all that time.  I did take books, and afew toys, but what they wanted were those movies.  UGH!!

So, off we start on our travels.  We put the movie on minus the sound and for the first 30 minutes everything was fine.  Then i got my first  Are we there yet?

Dear God this is going to be a long drive!

If I had a nickel for everytime one of them mentioned how long it was taking or when would we get there, why do they have to live so far away, etc, I'd be a rich girl!

Far too many times for a Mom driving alone with 3 kids to take.

Remarkably, we made the trip in a few minutes over 6 hours with one 15-20ish minute stop for a pee break, a donut and some gas.  Despite the constant ridicule for the long drive and the broken movie, we made it in good time.....and all my kids are still alive to tell the tale.  LOL

Now I am just praying that my brother is skilled enough to try and fix it for our trip back in a few days, we might not all make it home otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. See this is why - when we do the 12hour drive to Scotland we do it at night ;) We don't have a dvd player in our car... so all we get to hear is Zzzzzzzzz's. The trip home in the daylight is another matter mind you! Hmmm, maybe I need to think about those DVD player thingamabobs!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you came by! Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment:)