*

Monday, March 21, 2011

LIFE.....



As you take your first breath, only God knows how long it will be before you take your last.  From your first sunrise to your last sunset, will it be a mere moment, or many many years?  Will it be a good life?  Will it be full of joy, laughter, and love?  Will you look back on your life with amazement at how far you've come, or with regret of all the things you didn't do? 

Life....

Much of it is lived by the choices we make.  What courses to take? What career path to follow?  Where to live? Who to love? We make so many choices each and everyday. What to wear, what to eat, what to do? Some little, some HUGE.

But what about the choices we didn't make?  The times when life deals you a hand that you don't want to play? The times when we question what God is thinking and how, if He truly cared, could He let this happen?

Today I am thinking about and praying for a friend who is dealing with just that.  A few days ago her Mom went to the doctor because she didn't feel well.  The next day they figured it was something to do with her gall bladder.  Not fun, but handleable.  Today its a very aggressive form of cancer with possibly only weeks to live.

In an instant she went from believing she had years left to share with her mom to not knowing if today is the last day that they will get to share a conversation, a laugh, a hug, or anything at all.

It hurts me to imagine what she is going through.

I think about my own mom who was ill for several months during the winter, and of my mother-in-law who has battled a myriad of health problems and disease for years and years.  I love them both with all of my heart and will be devastated when God finally calls them home.  But my friend's situation has me wondering...if one of my moms died today, would I look back with regret or would I be confident that they knew how very much I loved and appreciated them? 

How often do we get sucked in by the routine of our lives and forget about those we love.  When was the last time you called your Dad, your sister, your Aunt, or a friend just to say I love you and you are important to me.  Do your kids know how much they mean to you?  How proud you are of them and how blessed you are that God gave them to you?  Does your husband know that you are so very grateful to have stuck it out together through all the rough spots and treasure the strength of your marriage and love today?

I don't want to live life always wondering if today is the day I will lose someone I truly care about.  That is no way to live.  I do want to make sure that I take the opportunities that I am given to have those I love KNOW that I love them, that they are special to me and that I am truly thankful that God brought them into my life.

Life is short. 

The end comes without warning. 
Choose to make the most of every second you have. 
Be a blessing to those around you. 
Take the time to write a note, send an email, make that phone call.
Cherish the moments we've been given, and enjoy all of those amazing people in your life.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful reminder about what is really important. How many blessings will come from walking with your friend through this difficult time...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

So glad you came by! Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment:)